We live in the time of entrepreneurship, and the repeated idea that owning your own business is what brings freedom. But I might have a not so popular opinion, that not everyone is meant to be an entrepreneur. Contrary to the many social media motivators of the world, I’m not here to convince you of anything but rather to talk friend to friend about what it’s really like being an entrepreneur.
Entrepreneurship takes a lot of sacrifice and grit. There’s a drive that fuels the fire day in and day out. But more importantly and what often gets skipped over, is that owning a business doesn’t necessarily bring freedom. It can sometimes bring the opposite, of never being too far from your email or phone in case there’s a fire you need to put out. There’s also nothing wrong with working within a business and finding happiness in your role. So no, not everyone should be an entrepreneur. There are some key characteristics of an entrepreneur we should discuss.
Entrepreneurism on the Rise
Somewhere along our decade these self-made billionaires and start up success stories brought stars to the eyes of many. The fact that in our time businesses can rise to incredible success is something to be celebrated. But being an entrepreneur gets so much praise that many feel less than if they are apart of the team that works within the business. Which has led to this false sense of status and that every is fit to be an entrepreneur. I believe in playing to your advantages, and if they align with those of an entrepreneur go for it I hope for many more businesses to come. But I believe there is so much value in building a company even if you do not own it yourself.
Owning your own business is a hard road. It all comes down to what makes YOU happy and following your path.
Questions to Ask Yourself
If you’re thinking about becoming an entrepreneur, there is definitely a lot to think about. Like I said before, running your own business is no easy task and can be extremely time consuming and there is no guaranteed outcome. So, because I truly want everyone to succeed, let’s ask some important questions.
- Do you have a unique business idea or passion?
- When thinking about your future, do you see being an entrepreneur as part of that plan?
- Do you have the time to dedicate towards building your own business?
- Would you be giving up things that are important to you to become an entrepreneur?
Things to Know
If you’re ready to take the plunge in owning your own business there are some things you need to know that I wish I would’ve known before starting my own business and that you should know before starting yours.
- There is no separation between your life and your business and you will likely think about it 24/7.
- There is no steady salary or guaranteed salary
- You will make mistakes, and many. So be okay with recognizing and learning from them
- Being your own boss does not mean you have more free time, you might even find yourself busier than you were before
- People depend on you so organization very important
Don’t let these factors scare you! Being an entrepreneur can be unpredictable at times, but there are also so many amazing things about being your own boss too! It’s just like anything else in life, there are pros and cons. Here are the undeniable joys of being an entrepreneur.
- Get to follow your true passion
- Have the opportunity to change the world with your ideas
- Stand for what you believe in
- Have the glorious freedom to implement your own ideas
So are you meant to be an entrepreneur? Comment your thoughts and whether you started your own business, are thinking about it, or even if you just agree or disagree with me. Check out some of these videos about women entrepreneurs and their stories as well! Let’s not discourage and speak truthfully to one another so each and every person can find their passion in this world.