About 4 months ago, I tried out an online (or virtual) interior design service, Decorist, to turn our home office into a playroom for Diego. Now that we have finally finished the playroom, I wanted to share an update on the results, what I changed (and why), and some playroom organization tips!
For reference, here you can see the entire process, the design options, and the final design we were trying to create in the room. This was my first time using a e-design service and I go into detail (with screenshots) of exactly what the process looked like. It’s very interesting and something to consider if you are wanting to design your home or office! But for now, let’s jump into how the playroom looks.
Diego’s Adventure Playroom
My goal for this playroom was to…
1. have lots of toy storage
2. space for him to play
3. match his nursery (see Diego’s nursery design here).
(living room toy tornado)
We use the bookshelf under the TV for storage of all of Diego’s books, building blocks, and other small toys in square storage boxes. Bigger toys like Woody & Buzz (if he doesn’t sleep with them haha) go into the big grey trunk that was designed to go in front of the couch. The grey standing tree bookcase was a cute idea for storage but we didn’t purchase it because with a 2-year-old, it wasn’t practical for him to reach and I envision an injury.
We decided not to include the table and chairs and put the trunk on the side of the couch so there was space for Diego to play on the ground. This was my only critique of the design, our office is small so we had to fill the space but leave enough to play! We did not end up using all the items that were suggested to us because it looked too busy and too much in a small space. If you use a service like this my personal recommendation would be not to order all at the same time, order some of the big items first, see how they fit and then order the rest!
I really love the look of the room. That teepee… it’s so cute and Diego thinks it is the coolest thing to have his own little space. The design of the space was most importantly masculine, fun, and not “babyish” I can really see this working for him even as he gets much older, which is a huge win for me. We left out the lights above the couch so it could be even more versatile if we do make any changes.
I encourage you to check out Decorist’s website and see if it feels like a good fit for you! If you decide you want to try it out you can try it with a 30% discount using LORE30 on a Classic Design Service.
My 5 Playroom Organization Tips
As you can see, we still have lots of organizing to do with the playroom. SO this week I dug for the best toy organization tips and as I made some of these changes to our playroom I thought I might as well share them with any of your parents out there stepping on toys (haha)!
- Under the bed or under couch storage is out of site and takes up no floor space! Use large clear storage bins that slide perfectly underneath to fill with costumes, legos, train tracks, etc.
- Keep stuffed animals together in a wire basket. Stuffed animals come in all shapes and sizes, and multiply fast! The wire basket is awesome because you can see everything in it and it’s easy to fit them in.
- If there isn’t closet space, cover the big toy items with beautiful drapes or curtains. You can even hide an entire bookshelf or storage area.
- Wall mount what you can to allow for more floor space. Long shelves, cute iron buckets, or mounted wire baskets can still flow with the design of the room and create added storage.
- Using drawer organizers are especially helpful to keep track of craft supplies. Keeping every marker or paintbrush in its original packaging it almost impossible, but throw a drawer organizer and everything can have its spot.
Shop Diego’s Adventure Playroom
- Forest Trees TeePee (ON SALE!)
- Blue Cloud Accent Pillow
- Blue Cloud Square Floor Pillow
- Similar Couch (original sold out)
- Grey & White Striped Rug (ON SALE!)
- Grey Trunk & Toy Chest
- Vintage Wood Crate Bookcase
- Wood Apikalia Side Table
- White Glass Table Lamp
- Chunky Knit Navy Blanket
- Sofa Slip Cover – Nickel
- Large Canvas Globe
- Adventure Awaits Tree Pillow
- Mountain Pillow
- Mountains Wall Mural
- Bear Blue Fish Painting
- Mountain Landscape Painting
- Mountain Garland
- Tan Fabric Decorative Book Set
- Marble Cloud Bookends
- Wood Branch Drinks Tray
Let me know if you have any questions about using an e-design service, Diego’s playroom, or if you have any playroom tips for me! You can always message me on Instagram or comment below.